[FOM] Turing machines: quadruples vs quintuples

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue Feb 24 01:16:46 EST 2004

In connection with Harvey Friedman's recent postings Bob Solovay wrote:

<<I'm puzzled by the use of "quadruples" here. Usually TM's are
presented with quintuples:

{State, Symbol} --> {New State, New Symbol, Direction to shift}.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect that in the quadruple, either a
direction to shift *or* a new symbol to print is included as the last
component.

Any reason behind the shift from quintuples to quadruples?>>

First Bob's guess is exactly right.

Post used the quadruple version in his 1947 paper: "Recursive Unsolvability
of a Problem of Thue". He explained to me (I was his student as an
undergraduate when that paper was published) that he found the quadruple
formulation more "fundamental" (a word he was fond of) because each machine
operation involved one thing instead of two.

When I wrote my "Computability & Unsolvability" I decided to follow Post.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU