[FOM] Re: On Physical Church-Turing Thesis

Toby Ord toby.ord at philosophy.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:02:00 EST 2004

On 11 Feb 2004, at 17:03, Dmytro Taranovsky wrote:

> I do not have references to the precise formulations of recursiveness
> vs.
> recursiveness with randomness.  However, as you (Toby Ord)
> suggested, one can ask whether there are definable in second order
> arithmetic (without parameters) but non-recursive functions that are
> physically computable.  A positive answer would mean that the physical
> world is non-recursive, while a negative answer would make it almost
> certain that the physical world is recursive (but possibly with
> randomness).

I agree in spirit, but there are still important complications about
what 'almost certain' means and these are difficult to resolve -- could
there be some physical non-recursive functions definable in something
stronger than second order arithmetic, yet no physical non-recursive
functions definable within second order arithmetic? And if so, how do
we catch these cases within our appropriate thesis?

> Do you have a reference for infinite travel in finite time in Newtonian
> mechanics?

The following article gives overviews of several related cases and many