[FOM] The rule of generalization in FOL, and pseudo-theorems

Alessio Guglielmi Alessio.Guglielmi at inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Aug 31 15:45:59 EDT 2004

Dear Sandy,

there is a deep inference system, called SKS, which appears to be
doing exactly what you're asking for. The generalisation rule is
equivalently replaced by the rule

        (FA x) (A or B)
    ------------------------ .
    ( (FA x) A or (EX x) B )

(In deep inference, connectives and quantifiers are always defined by
inference rules in duals pairs.) The system is quite elegant, and it
never produces `theorems' of the kind you don't like. Moreover, the
sequent system LK (as well as natural deduction systems) is in a
straightforward correspondence to system SKS. In addition, system SKS
enjoys all the proof theoretic properties one might want, for example
the finite choice property, which is the deep inference equivalent of
the subformula one; cut elimination, of course, and many others.

You can find this system in Kai Bruennler's thesis at
<http://www.iam.unibe.ch/%7ekai/Papers/phd.pdf> (p. 25; you can also
buy this book at Amazon
<http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3832504486/qid=1077070232/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_8_4/302-1943298-8085610>).

The same thesis gives a short introduction to deep inference, whose
main web page is at
<http://alessio.guglielmi.name/res/cos/index.html>. If you have
questions and you want to get in touch with the people involved in
deep inference, you can use the mailing list Frogs at
<http://alessio.guglielmi.name/frogs/index.html>.

Best wishes,

-Alessio