[FOM] Absoluteness of Clay prize problems

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu Aug 19 03:30:53 EDT 2004

"John T. Baldwin" <jbaldwin at uic.edu> wrote:

> I had lunch with a mathematician the other day who opined that the Clay
> problems were probably all provable
> or refuatable in ZFC.    One way to argue this (without finding proofs)
> is to give a syntactic analysis showing that the varous statements
> are absolute.  For instance,  I have heard that the Riemann Hypothesis
> is pi^0_1.

But of course, being a pi^0_1 sentence does in no way quarantee that the
sentence is either provable or refutable in ZFC (as the above may appear to
suggest - or did I miss something?).

Panu Raatikainen

PhD., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
University of Helsinki
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki