[FOM] Abdul Lorenz on Kieu

Tien D Kieu kieu at swin.edu.au
Sun Apr 25 16:36:01 EDT 2004

Dear Abdul Lorenz,

Thank you for the comments, my responses in the order given are:

1/  Even though the Hamiltonians involved are not quadratic in momentum
operator, that does not imply that we cannot create/simulate them.  Lloyd and
Braunstein have proposed a way to simulate Hamiltonians with arbitrary powers
in position and momentum operators (and hence arbitrary powers in creation and
annihilation operators) in quantum optics with linear and non-linear effects
(including squeezing and Kerr nonlinearity).  See their paper on
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9810082.

2/  Decoherence is indeed the possible killer.  The whole difficulty with the
physical implementation of standard quantum computation (with qubits and
quantum gates) is how to protect the computation process from decoherence
before the process is completed.  Here with the proposed quantum adiabatic
computation too, decoherence is important has to be taken care of in any
physical implemtation.  It deserves further study  Some initial numerical
investigation by Childs, Farhi and Preskill
(http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0108048) into unitary control errors and
decoherence in quantum adiabatic computation for various combinatoric search
problems has shown some inherent robustness.  This surprising robustness is
perhaps parallel with the surprise that there exist possible quantum error
corrections in standard quantum computation (with qubits and quantum gates).
(Recall that initially there was strong scepticism (even from experienced
people like Landauer) that, because of the no-cloning theorem in quantum
mechanics, error correction was impossible in quantum computation; but the
discovery of quantum error correction code soon afterwards was a big suprise
and changed all that.)  At this stage, even the mere theoretical and in-
principle existence of a quantum mechanical procedure to probabilistic
determine Hilbert's tenth problem is, at least to me, extremely interesting.

3/  I have nothing more to add to what I have already said about energy
measurement here (except to repeat that the final spectrum is integer-valued so
the gap is *at least* one unit in energy, which is then sufficient for
specifying \Delta E without knowing the spectrum).  However, I would like to
point out that beside the energy measurement we can also do with the
measurement of occupation number (represented by the operator a^\dagger a),
since by construction the end-point Hamiltonian (H_P in my notation) commutes
with the number operators so these two observables (energy and occupation
number) are compatible.  Such occupation number measurement would give us the
positive integers n_1, n_2, etc which we can then substitute into the
Diophantine polynomial in the places of corresponding variables to see if the
polynomial vanishes (in which case, the equation has some positive integer
solution) or not (no integer solution).  This point has been made in, for
example, my paper in Contemporary Physics.

Regards,

Tien Kieu

Quoting martin at eipye.com: