[FOM] Definition of "large cardinal axiom"?

Roger Bishop Jones rbj01 at rbjones.com
Tue Apr 13 15:24:40 EDT 2004

Can anyone tell me whether there is a generally accepted
definition of what is a large cardinal axiom?

None of the texts which I have to hand seems to have a definition
of "large cardinal axiom" in general, though they have definitions
of various particular kinds of large cardinal, i.e. they
have examples of large cardinal axioms.

I do have a paper by Patrick Dehornoy (Progres recents sur
l'hypothese du continu) which has a definition in it (Def. 6.1)
but it looks as if this definition may have been devised
for the purposes of the work in hand, rather than being
a generally accepted definition.

Roger Jones

- rbj01 at rbjones.com
   plain text email please (non-executable attachments are OK)