[FOM] Nash, Impagliazzo, and Remmel paper

Timothy Y. Chow tchow at alum.mit.edu
Sat Sep 27 20:08:15 EDT 2003

In a recent message on the FOM list, I mentioned a paper by Nash,
Impagliazzo and Remmel from COMPLEXITY 2003.  I have learned that
my remarks came across as disparaging.  I want to publicly apologize
for creating any impression that I think this is a bad paper.  This
was not my intention, as I like the paper very much and think that
it contains very interesting results.  My comments were not intended
as an attack on the paper.

The authors and I still disagree as to whether certain statements in the
paper are insufficiently carefully formulated and/or strictly speaking
incorrect.  I am trying to sort out this issue with them by email.
Regardless of the outcome of this email discussion, I still highly
recommend the paper and think it should be required reading for anyone
interested in the question of what "diagonalization relativizes" means or
could mean.  (If you tried to click on the link and got an error, that is
probably because I accidentally appended a stray '.' to the end of the
URL; delete that and it should be all right.)

Tim