[FOM] Platonism 1

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 25 15:45:03 EDT 2003

I have been slowly absorbing the contributions to the recent thread(s)
on Platonism and formalism. They raise many interesting points for me
and I want to see if I can sustain a series of comments on it. Hence
the new subject heading.

I first want to comment on the view---that, to my embarrassment, I have
held---that, whereas classical logic involving only bounded
quantification over sets is justified, in the case of unbounded
quantification over `all sets', the appropriate logic is
intuitionistic, because of the open-ended character of this universe.
This view depends upon taking the universe of `all sets’ to be the
intended model of set theory.  This view is mentioned by A.P. Hazen
(9/6/03), citing a paper by Poszgay.

A contrasting view, which goes back to Zermelo’s  ``Ueber Grenzzahlen
und Mengenbereiche: Neue Untersuchungen ueber die Grundlagen der
Mengenlehre’’ [Fundamenta Mathematicae 16 (1930): 29-47], is that the
models of set theory form (to within isomorphism) an unbounded
increasing sequence.  (By set theory, he means the impredicative
second-order ZFC.)  These models are determined as the least epsilon
structures satisfying specific consistent extensions of ZFC and thus
have what for him is the essential property of a mathematical
structure: a categorical axiomatic theory.  On this conception, the
logic of unbounded quantifiers should be treated no differently from
that of bounded quantifiers. For, applied to any model, they are
quantifying over a  well-defined set M, which indeed is an element of
each of the succeeding models.

In spite of incompleteness and the inability (in any relevant sense) to
prove consistency (of which Zermelo was of course unaware then), this
remains an attractive---even compelling---conception.  For it makes no
presumption that there is a unique way in which set theory will
develop. New axioms may indeed be seen as `true’, but not in the
semantical sense that they hold in the universe of all sets (for then
their truth is speculative only), but rather in the sense that they
develop correctly some conception of a universe of sets. On this view,
the only grounds for asserting truth in the semantical sense is proof
from the axioms. The challenge is of course to arrive at a conception
of a universe of sets on the basis of which the axioms are `true' in
the former sense.

(I think that maybe this distinction between two senses of `true’ is
related to a discussion in a recent posting of the distinction between
`correspondence theories of truth’ and `coherence theories of truth’.)

The alternative I mentioned to Zermelo's position  seems to me to be an
instance of a kind of Platonism, that Wang (or Goedel) called
`conceptual Platonism’, according to which the concept of `set’ picks
out by itself some well-determined extension. I can’t see that Goedel
gave an argument for this kind of Platonism, although he seems to have
subscribed to it. I also don't see what argument there can be for it. \

I want to distinguish this sense of Platonism from another, which
Goedel did cogently argue for and which I would defend. But I will
discuss this in another posting.

Bill Tait