[FOM] Frege and logic

Steve Awodey awodey at cmu.edu
Fri Oct 17 19:15:18 EDT 2003

> Subject:
> [FOM] Frege and logic
> From:
> Alasdair Urquhart <urquhart at cs.toronto.edu>
> Date:
> Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:22:33 -0400
>
> To:
> fom at cs.nyu.edu

>The only point that I wanted to comment
>on was the claim that Frege had very
>little influence on the development of
>modern logic.  This seems palpably false
>to me.

As some recent digging has shown, Frege's influence on the development
of modern logic was actually quite great:

His student Carnap was strongly influenced by him, and passed much of
his logical theory (like extensionality and simple type theory) on to
his own student, Kurt Goedel.

I argue this point in some detail in the introduction to the soon to be
published, English edition of Carnap's notes from Frege's logic lectures
[Erich Reck & Steve Awodey (ed.s), Open Court].

Best,

Steve

Steve Awodey
Philosophy Department