[FOM] A.Robinson, Isms

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Thu Oct 16 01:26:54 EDT 2003

Rely to Sazonov.

I am quite interested in having an in depth discussion on the
realism/Platonism/formalism/ismisms issues, in light of your 10/13.03 5:18PM
posting.

This is incomparably more interesting for the FOM list than many of the
other threads - including ill informed and unimaginative attempts to force
superficial aspects of ordinary language into the foundations of
mathematics, without paying the slightest attention to the structure of even
that portion of mathematics that is now taught from Kindergarten through 5th
grade.

I particularly appreciate your quotes from Abraham Robinson in his 1964
paper.

However, before getting into this seriously, I notice that you have not
responded at all to my questions about the imaginative numbers in my email
of 10/11/03 4:51AM, On the Existence of Mathematical Objects.

I am waiting for your reply.

Harvey Friedman