[FOM] Foundations and Frege

William Tait wwtx at pop.earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 17:46:43 EDT 2003

It is very surprising that anyone with even a small interest in the
foundartions of mathematics would write

>the whole idea of "foundations of mathematics"
>comes from Frege of course

Thbis is a quote from Dean Buckner, Oct 9.

As Steve Simpson recently noted, the idea of foundations for exact
science---of finding the first principles (the primitive concepts,
definitions and axioms) appears in Aristotle's Posterior Anayltics. I
would note, though, that  the idea was first introduced (so far as
extant literature is concerned) in Plato's Phaedo and Republic, and
that Aristotle actually emasculated the idea  by identifying the
underlying logic with his syllogistic and by his view that the axioms
are obtained by abstraction from sense experience. In any case, a
concern for foundations is manifested in Euclid's Elements by the
postulates in Book I governing what is to be meant by a geometric
construction and by the treatment of proportion in Book V---the
latter at least quite likely motivated by the discovery of
incommensurables, supporting the conclusion that geometric truths
cannot be literally truths about what we perceive and so need another
kind of foundation.

But perhaps Dean Buckner is only referring to foundations in the
nineteenth century. But even then, one must place the beginnings of
foundations of analysis in th3e early part of the century, long
before Frege. It arose perhaps from internal sources having to do
with the expanded notion of function and from the external source of
the discovery of non-Euclidean geometry and the consequent
perception that geometry cannot provide an a priori foundation for
analysis. The concern for foundations of analysis is clear as early
as 1817 in Bolzano's paper in which he gave the first definition of
continuity of a real function and a purely analytic proof of the
intermediate value theorem (and explained why he thought it was
necessary to do so), as well as in the lectures of Cauchy which
followed soon after. In this connection also the names of Dirichlet,
Weierstrass,
  Riemann,  Dedekind and Cantor need to be mentioned in connection
with important work in foundations BEFORE Frege wrote the
Begriffsschrift.

The question has been raised, e.g. by Philip Kitcher, whether Frege
even belongs to this tradition, in that his motive3s were more
`philosophical' than internal to mathematics. I think that this goes
too far, but it does seem to me that his actual contribution to
foundations tends to be overvalued. His discovery of quantification
theory was important for the codification of logic and so ultimately
for foundations. His treatment of the ancestral relation was perhaps
important, but it was independently discovered, in a much cleaner
form by Dedekind.  His treatment of the real numbers as ratios had a
large gap in it: it required that there be a Dedekind-complete
ordered semigroup with subtraction  b-a when a<b (to ensure that
there are enough ratios)---a gap that had been filled some ten years
earlier by the construction of the reals by several writers,
including Cantor and Dedekind.

One might wish to say that Frege did contribute in a negative way by
making precise an assumption that was made by these earlier people
concerning the notion of set and which leads to contradiction. But
Cantor had already stated in 1883,  in a paper cited by Frege in his
1874 Foundations of Arithmetic, that there are concepts whose
extensions are not sets, and he repeated this warning in his review
in 1885 of Frege's book. (On the other hand, Cantor's warning was
missed not only by Frege but by Dedekind as well.)

Of the people I mentioned above, it is interesting to note that only
one,  Bolzano,  would be classified (institutionally, so to speak) as
a philosopher. Yet I would say of the others, too, that they made
leading contributions to PHILOSOPHY in the 19th century. For the
problems of the infinite, the nature of the continuum and of number
and the clarification of the notion of a set have ranked since
ancient Greece among the leading problems in philosophy. And in
ancient times, foundations was regarded as a proper domain of
philosophy: {Plato's name for a fom'er (if not for a FOMer) was
`dialectician'].

Speaking as a philosopher, I for one am not at all comfortable with
the sharp separation of philosophy from science that prevails in the
contemporary (though perhaps dying)  `philosophy = philosophy of
language = theory of meaning' school of philosophy and that seems to
be reflected in some of Dean Buckner's postings.  That school has
very largely been one of off-the-top-of-the-head theorizing, based on
no expertise of any kind  other than a way with words and, aside from
Wittgenstein's Investigations [at least I would make this exception],
I do not see that its contributions (at least those which have not
found their way into sience---linguistics or the science of
cognition) recommend it very strongly as a fruitful direction for
philosophy.

Respectfully,

Bill Tait