[FOM] Semantical realism without ontological realism in mathematics

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue May 27 04:13:21 EDT 2003

The difference between "semantical realism" and "ontological realism" was
expressed quite clearly also by Dummett in his "Realism and anti-realism",
in his The Seas of Language, O.U.P, 1993.

He says that it is possible to be e.g. a neo-Fregean platonist about
mathematical objects but nevertheless deny that they have any properties
other than those we are capable of recognizing, and that it is also
possible to be a Dedekindian who maintain that mathematical objects are
free creations of human mind but may nevertheless have, once created,
properties independently of our capacity to recognize them.

Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen

PhD., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
University of Helsinki

Address:
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4