[FOM] FOM Potential

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Thu May 22 02:23:59 EDT 2003

This is a brief comment concerning the potential of the FOM list.

The discussion of LW (Ludwig Wittgenstein) is a case in point.

Imagine if there were a moderated FOM email list devoted to serious
discussion of fundamental issues in f.o.m. and related topics such as
ph.o.m. from the time of LW's major contributions through the present
and future?

The FOM list would be inviting LW to participate. Informal reviews of
LW's work would appear. LW would see all of this in his email, or
look into the FOM Archives, or his associates and colleagues would do
so on his behalf and for their own benefit, etc.

There is no doubt that this would have led to an interactive
clarification of LW's positions, and there would be a written record
reflecting the developments. FOM would be a major source for
historians. LW scholarship would be profoundly affected.

This is just a tiny tiny little example of the potential of the FOM email list.

Perhaps others can comment on what favorite topics of theirs they
would like to see discussed on the FOM list, with a brief elaboration
of what they have in mind.

But I think that all of you personally know many people who are not
on the subscriber list http://www.cs.nyu.edu/mailman/roster/fom that
should be. They and all of us would benefit from their presence and
involvement.

Also many of these colleagues could make extremely valuable postings
on some of your favorite topics. I urge you to take the time to get
them involved. Send them to

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/mailman/roster/fom
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/

We have 680 subscribers now, and we should move easily to 1000 with your help.

It is also vital to make sure that as many as possible of the serious
students of logic, mathematical philosophy, and logical aspects of
computer science join the FOM.

And to the many distinguished subscribers at the top of their
area(s), please make some quality postings! Let's all help make the
FOM a place of transcendental importance for the history of ideas.