[FOM] RE: FOM Digest, Vol 5, Issue 15

Matt Insall montez at fidnet.com
Mon May 12 11:01:10 EDT 2003

Lerma:
In the realm of Mathematics there are no cabbages, nor apples, nor bricks,
nor planets, nor anything "material" at all.

But in Mathematics there are not "things" to start with.

Insall:
On the other hand, there can be ``things'' `to start with'.

Lerma:
The real problem of Foundations is how to build the entire
building of Mathematics without any material bricks at all.

Insall:
I would have said ``... with or without any material bricks
at all.''  Why should we not include as ``foundational'' set
theories with urelements (``things''), for example?