[FOM] Intensionality

Michael Zeleny zeleny at math.ucla.edu
Fri Mar 14 13:24:12 EST 2003

Truth-value-preserving intersubstitutivity (salva veritate) of concurrent
terms, i.e. terms that denote the same object, is neither a necessary nor
a sufficient criterion of intensionality. Thus on the Frege-Churchian
view, oblique contexts such as those arising in the contexts of beliefs,
inquiries, strivings, and other instances of what Russell characterized as
propositional attitudes, induce a shift in denotation of terms occcurring
therein, from their ordinary denotations to their ordinary senses. Under
the circumstances, terms that are synonymous, and a fortiori concurrent in
ordinary contexts, retain their concurrence in oblique contexts. However
even such terms may be distinguishable in nested oblique contexts such as
those in Benson Mates' example:
	Nobody doubts that whoever believes that the seventh consulate
	of Marius lasted less than a fortnight believes that the seventh
	consulate of Marius lasted less than a period of fourteen days.
The English terms `fortnight' and `fourteen days' accurately translate as
the same expression into all languages lacking a single word for denoting
a period of two weeks. This fact demonstrates that they are synonymous as
to their ordinary senses. But Mates' intuition that his example is false
suggests that their oblique or second-order senses are distinct.

In connection with his formulation of the Logic of Sense and Denotation,
Church informally characterized intensionality as a relative phenomenon
correlated with the strength of identity criteria. Thus the set-theoretic
study of functions as individuated by the course of values is extensional
with respect to their study as objects that define their course of values
through a certain process of computation. Ever finer individuation of the
same domain, with a corresponding increase in the grade of intensionality,
is achievable through further distinctions in the objects and procedures
of computation.

cordially,                         -- Mikhail Zeleny at math.ucla.edu
7576 Willow Glen Rd, Hollywood, CA 90046 323-876-8234 323-363-1860
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.              -- Samuel Beckett