[FOM] New Axioms(?)

Karlis Podnieks Karlis.Podnieks at mii.lu.lv
Fri Jun 27 05:06:42 EDT 2003

"Harvey Friedman" <friedman at math.ohio-state.edu>
June 27, 2003 4:50 AM
writes:

> My own opinion is that the axioms of ZFC have a special kind of coherent
simplicity
> that cannot be extended. I.e., ZFC is complete.

> And also the axioms of ZF have a related special kind of coherent
simplicity
> that also cannot be extended. I.e., ZF is complete.

> However, it is one thing to say this, and another to make this idea
> clear, backed by theorems.

Sounds as Church Thesis for set theory. By analogy, could the equivalence
results for different set theories (for example, the equivalence of
Ackermann's set theory and ZF) be regarded as arguments supporting such
thesis?

Best wishes,
Karlis.Podnieks at mii.lu.lv
www.ltn.lv/~podnieks
Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Latvia