[FOM] Mathematical Aesthetics

Wei Zhao wzhao at bit.csc.lsu.edu
Fri Jun 20 18:03:29 EDT 2003

Dear FOM Community,

I would be interested in reading and knowing what the philosophy of
mathematics community in general has done regarding the topic of
mathematical aesthetics. I can't seem to find anything at all on it.

Specifically, I would like to ask the questions:

1) Is 'mathematical aesthetics' a subject under the philosophy of
mathematics or under aesthetics? Or is it a mathematical discipline?
2) Have there been any major theories/debates/advancements in the
subject within the context either of modern analytic philosophy or of
modern mathematics?
3) Where might one search to find relevant sources of literature on
this subject?

Thanks much in advance.

Best,
Wei