[FOM] Consistency of formal systems

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 15:07:13 EDT 2003

The problem surely is that, even going through only the constructive
ordinals, you need to show at limit ordinals that the union of the
theories that you have obtained at smaller ordinals is a theory to
which Rosser's theorem applies. Turing, Feferman and Fenstad have
written on such hierarchies of theories; but I don't remember the
details. I think that Feferman gave a bound on how high such a
hierarchy could go and then Fenstad improved on it (?)

Feferman JSL 27 (1962): 259-316.

Bill Tait