[FOM] Re: "Leibniz's Law"

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 8 11:15:13 EDT 2003

I have just looked through a number of postings whicg refer to
``Leibniz's Law''. Forgive me if I'm missing something; but these
postings seem to be taking this law to be stating that identical things
have the same properties (and more surprisingly, seem to be arguing
about its validity). But Leibniz's law---or at least the striking part
of his assertion about identity---is in fact the converse statement
that things with the same properties are identical (which makes some
kind of sense in the context of his metaphysics, if not [pace Frege]
otherwise).

Bill Tait