[FOM] General Foundations Discussion

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Sun Jul 27 03:24:49 EDT 2003

Harvey Friedman says:

  >I disagree strongly with this point of view. I *know* just how fruitful it
  >is to dwell carefully on what is "truly foundational", and to frame research
  >programs that productively bear directly on central foundational issues.

  I have no insight or opinion regarding what is or is not fruitful in
logical or mathematical work. My comments concerned a different matter
altogether: polemical harping on the lack of proper attitude in others,
on their "insufficient awe and reverence", their "failure to apply
appropriate standards", and so on. It's a safe bet that such polemics
will not advance anybody's understanding of anything.

---

Torkel Franzen