[FOM] Model theory and foundations

Ayan Mahalanobis amah8857 at brain.math.fau.edu
Sat Jul 26 14:22:00 EDT 2003

Stephen G Simpson wrote:

> > I am increasingly of the opinion that nonstandard analysis is one
> > of the big foundational discoveries of the 20th century.
>
>I like nonstandard analysis a lot, but I don't see it as measuring up
>to the epochal work of Goedel and Turing.  In particular, one can't
>use nonstandard analysis as the basis of an exposition of mathematics
>from the ground up.  Part of the difficulty is that, in a precise
>sense, one can't give an example of an infinitesimal.

I don't know much about non-standard analysis. I will dare ask a
question here in hope that at the end I might end up wiser. Why is the
non-existence of infinitesimals an issue? I have tried to understand the
concept of continuity in classical mathematics and it seems to me that
the use of epsilon-delta is highly conceptual. So what is wrong with
conceptual infinitesimals?

Ayan