[FOM] Re: The width of V

Aatu Koskensilta aatu.koskensilta at xortec.fi
Wed Jul 9 01:51:39 EDT 2003

Eric Steinhart wrote:

>  >From: Roger Bishop Jones <rbj at rbjones.com>
>  >Can anyone point me to work on axioms which
>  >are intended to make V as fat as possible?
>
> It would seem that the plain old power set axiom makes V as wide as
> possible, if you take V[n+1] to be the power set of V[n] for any ordinal n.

It doesn't. The power set axiom simply states that for any set A there
is a set P(A), s.t. whenever some other set x happens to be contained as
a subset in A, x belongs to P(A). The powerset axiom itself does not
imply the existence of any subset of A.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta at xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"