Correction: [FOM] Logically Full Structures and Theories

John T. Baldwin jbaldwin at uic.edu
Sat Jul 5 09:33:21 EDT 2003

I correct one point in my previous note.

John T. Baldwin wrote:

> I copy below Harvey's note on logically full theories.
>
> The notion of logically full does seem to me to  be of model theoretic
> interest.  A closely related notion
> is studied in 5.5 of Hodges, Model theory entitled: Theories that
> interpret anything
> See also appendix A3 of the same book which shows the class of nil-2
> groups is (if I am reading right)
> logically full..

correction: Mekler's theorem (see A3 of Hodges) asserts every structure
is interpretable in SOME nil-2 group.  This is considerably weaker than
asserting
nil-2 groups are logically full since
Harvey's notion of a theory T  being logical full  requires every
sentence  interpretable in every model of T.

A group is nil-2 if both the commutator subgroup G' of G is Abelian and
G/G is abelian.  An alternative defnition is that the
upper central series has length 2.   On the one hand these are the
non-abelian groups that are closed to be Abelian; on the
other hand they can represent a wide range of phenomena.  It is the
second aspect that movtivated Mekler's theorem.  In