[FOM] Scott's not entirely ingored attempt ...

Peter Smith ps218 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 05:57:00 EDT 2003

Bill Taylor refers to

> Dana Scott's largely-ignored attempt (Proc Symp Pure Math Vol 13 1974),
> to found ZF(C) on the more fundamental idea of "stages" of constructing
> things.

Maybe it is worth remarking that my colleague Michael Potter's excellent
introductory OUP text "Sets: An Introduction" (1990) presents sets the
Scott way from the start. And there's a heavily revised second edition ---
or maybe it is a new book, the criteria of identity being pretty
indeterminate -- coming out next year. (The first edition is unusual for
the amount of conceptual commentary; the new version contains a lot more
philosophy.)

--
Dr Peter Smith
Jesus College