[FOM] Re: 187:Grand Unification 2 - saving human lives

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jul 3 00:35:16 EDT 2003

Reply to Anderson  9:36PM  7/2/03.

>Regarding Dr. Friedman's latest posting concerned with the development of
>a verifiable programming language, I'm not sure I understand how what's
>being proposed would differ in practice from existing research
>languages, such as ML, that allow formal proofs of correctness.  What
>further benefits might be realized if a language meeting the
>specifications set out were to be created?
>
>Regards,
>
>Stuart Anderson

In #187, I wrote:

DESIGN AN APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE FOR SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT WHICH
SUPPORTS FRIENDLY DEVELOPMENT OF EFFICIENT CODE THAT IS SPECIFIED AND
VERIFIED AS PROGRAMS ARE BEING DEVELOPED.

If this was done properly, and explained properly, then you could
tell something happened. Here would be some consequences:

1. The military would require that all critical software developed
under its contracts be specified by the military and/or contractor in
the associated specification language, the code written in the
programming language, a proof that the code meets the specifications
provided by the contractor, and the proof verified by the standard
core proof checker. Contracts would be obtained and performance would
be met. Critical military code would be bug free. My recollection is
that there was a naive move in this direction by the military with a
programming language called ADA. This move by the military was
decades too early, but the time will come for this.

2. There would be a mad scramble in the private sector to develop
tools that would give software companies and/or their clients the
ability to perform as required by the massively lucrative military
contracts.

3. This in turn would largely refocus the computer science curriculum
towards developing student competence in these new tools. Those most
able to master these new tools would command enormous starting
salaries.

4. Software specifications in the unclassified sector could be put
out on the Internet, accompanied with a price. Anyone first providing
the software together with a verified proof that the software meets
the specifications, would get paid immediately. Since the correctness
of the software developed would NOT be at issue, it would be trivial
to force payment in Court. Prices for urgently needed software
meeting complex specifications might be worth tens or even hundreds
of millions of dollars. Conceivably someone with far greater
understanding of and competence in the use of such tools than anyone
else, or almost anyone else, would be able to REGULARLY make tens or
even hundreds of millions of dollars just sitting in front of a
computer and thinking, without even having to talk to a human being,
let alone sitting for a job interview.

Last time I checked, this hasn't happened.

In order for this to happen, things have to be done very very very
very very very very very very very friendly.

We might as well start over.

Harvey Friedman