[FOM] A question concerning continuous functions

sandylemberg@juno.com sandylemberg at juno.com
Fri Jan 31 12:42:35 EST 2003

"One property that continuous functions in Arnon Avron's sense
intuitively enjoy is that the graph of any continuous function
should, on a closed interval, have a well-defined finite "length
along the curve" -"

This is why we have the notion of bounded variation. Real analysis is
replete with counterintuitive or anomalous examples. In a very real
sense, most examples fall into this category! The theory of the continuum
and foundations of real analysis is, for me, frankly a deep and
mysterious subject.

Sandy