[FOM] Cantor's argument

Vladik Kreinovich vladik at cs.utep.edu
Thu Jan 30 20:37:13 EST 2003

There actually is a well known rephrasing of Russell's paradox: a barber is
assigned to a miliary unit with the task of shaving everyone who does not shave
themselves. The question is: does this barber shave himslef or not? If he does,
he violates his instruction because he then shaves a person who shaves homself;
similarly, if he does not shave himself he also violates his instructions.

The conclusion here, of course, is not that the number of soldiers is
uncountable but that the instructions issued to the barber are, if taken
literally, inconsistent.

<mailto:fom-request at cs.nyu.edu?subject=subscribe>