[FOM] A question concerning continuous functions

Ayan Mahalanobis amah8857 at brain.math.fau.edu
Wed Jan 29 16:32:03 EST 2003

This is some comments on the recent posting on Arnon Avron.

I also had similar problems with the epsilon-delta definition of
continuity and later bought it as a religion as the whole limit process
is, unjustifiable but working. The best defense about the definition of
continuity is that, a continuous function cannot have any jump
discontinuity", so do I define jump discontinuity first or continuity.
Also  it is probably not a very good idea to appeal to intuition in a negative way.

The root of the problem behind epsilon-delta definition is the lack of
continuity in the definition. It seems to be a reasonable worry to me as
Brouwer, Bishop and Church et al either proved in their system that all
functions are continuous or worked only with continuous functions.

I think the definition is so successful because classically we
conceive real line as a set of points with the law of trichotomy, which
makes it ** discrete ** but uncountable. Probably we need to look at our
classical understanding of continuum more closely.

Some thoughts, any comments welcome.

Cheers
Ayan