[FOM] Synonymity

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Feb 14 02:58:26 EST 2003

Dear Alasdair

Thank you very much for your message.

Alasdair Urquhart <urquhart at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> I have a vague recollection that first order
> Peano Arithmetic is synonymous with ZF + the
> negation of the axiom of infinity.  Is that
> right?

This is exactly the kind of case I would like to have, and I feel that many
assume they are something like synonmous, but I've never seen it explicitly
stated (in the meager literature on synonymity), not to mention proved. On
the other hand, I have some doubts that they may after all turn out to be
non-synonymous...
I hoped that someone knew for sure. Maybe I sould just try to check it
myself...

* * *

Your paper "Synonymous Logics" seems very interesting. Unfortunately I have
now some problems with my new Latex version... I wonder if you  could send
a .dvi, .ps or .pdf version - if that is not too much trouble?

All the Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen

PhD., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
University of Helsinki

Address:
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4