[FOM] proxy fonctions and their role in Quine's philosophy of mathematics

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Mon Dec 29 10:07:12 EST 2003

Dear Mlika

Perhaps the clearest statement of Quine's "proxy-function argument" can be
found in his book Theories and Things, p. 19-20. (see also Pursuit of
Truth, 31-33.).

Actually, it is not particularly related to the philosophy of mathematics,
although it could be applied there too, in support of some kind of
structuralist view. (whether I buy the argument is a different question...)

Best

Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies
P.O. Box 4
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki
Finland

E-mail: panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi