[FOM] the debate with Professor Kanovei

podnieks@latnet.lv podnieks at latnet.lv
Sat Aug 30 12:00:42 EDT 2003

Reply to Martin Davis <martin at eipye.com>:

Prof.Davis> This is where Kanovei is stuck: he can only see "many formal
systems"; the possibility of speaking meaningfully of some assertion
being "true" independent of provability in a specific formal system, he
dismisses as a kind of mysticism, incompatible with science. His position is
perfectly consistent and there is no arguing him out of it. <Prof.Davis

Thank you for an extremely clear formulation of the core problem in the
foundations of mathematics. It would be hard to put it better. I would propose
voting of all FOM members for or against "formalism" (against or
for "mysticism") according to the above definition by Prof.Davis. Let us
establish two parliament groups and elect speakers? I would vote
for "formalism". Of course, Godel, Post and Penrose would vote "against". But,
I suspect, Einstein, von Neumann and Kolmogorov would vote "for". Let us try
using the creative potential of both parties? Or, must all "true" formalists
resign?

Prof.Davis> He is like one devoted to the Ptolemaic system in which the sun
and planets revolve about the earth: his account will have to put up with
baroque complexities (the famous epicycles) but he cannot be dislodged from
his view by pure reason. <Prof.Davis

Simply, the 75 years after Hilbert and Ackermann published the axioms of the
first order functional calculus did no produce neither Copernicus, nor a
Copernican idea...

(For me, in our movie, "Copernicus" is featured by Frege, "Galileo" - by
Russell and Hilbert, "a collective Newton" - by Post, Godel, Turing and other
creators of the formal concept of algorithm.)

Prof.Davis> ... It may be worth considering what this position (unassailable
as it is) entails. An assertion that some particular tuple of numbers
satisfies the equation involves nothing more complicated than addition and
multiplication of integers. To claim that it is meaningless to say that there
is no solution is really remarkable. <Prof.Davis

Here we have, indeed, the key point. Thank you, again. I would only correct
the "claim": it is meaningless to say that the statement "there is no
solution" possess some "objective truth value" independent of provability in a
specific formal system. Unfortunately, this is the well-known old Platonist-
Formalist controversy.

Prof.Davis>It is particularly remarkable given that Kanovei somehow regards
formal syntax as immune from his philosophical objections. The assertion that
a particular theory is consistent is no simpler than what we have been
discussing... <Prof.Davis

I believe, he does not regard formal syntax as immune. But, of course, only by
using "many formal systems" (many theories - several metatheories - a few
metametatheories) we can understand all the complicated things that are
discussed on the FOM.

Best regards,
Karlis.Podnieks at mii.lu.lv