[FOM] Godel Sentence

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Sat Aug 23 12:17:02 EDT 2003

Vladimir Sazonov says:

 >It could be said
 >that they are intuitively (informally) true.

  Exactly as intuitively or informally true as the fundamental theorem
of arithmetic, or any other mathematical theorem.

  >Thus, consis(PA) (as formulated in the metatheory PA for PA
  >itself) says about *imaginary* proofs in PA of such a length which
  >no mathematician can ever write even with the help of powerful
  >computers whereas, intuitively, the consistency of PA may be
  >considered  a very informal statement on feasible proofs, that
  >*nobody* can *really* deduce a contradiction in PA.

  Exactly as imaginary as large numbers n which the fundamental theorem
of arithmetic states have a unique prime decomposition. There's nothing
special about Gödel's theorem.

  >I would rather prefer to tell about
  >a correspondence of provable sentences to our intuition and
  >external reality, instead of "truth", and this is the real practice
  >of mathematics, especially of applied one.

  "Correspondence to our intuition and external reality" is a very
doubtful philosophical notion, as opposed to the mathematically
defined "true sentence".

---
Torkel Franzen