[FOM] category mistakes

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 28 22:52:12 EDT 2003

Dean Buckner writes (FOM Digest, Vol 4, Issue 31) writes:

>Rendering what is grammatically (i.e.logically) a sentence by an
>expression that is grammatically a referring phrase, namely rendering "7 is
>a prime number" as
>
>  is_a_prime_number(7)
>
>Prof. Hartley Slater has (as I understand) discussed the error underlying
>this move at great length on FOM..

The example Dean provides suggests it is the whole of
'is_a_prime_number(7)' which is the referring phrase in question,
rather than just (one way of reading) the part before the '(7)'.  The
standard predicate logic symbolism for elementary sentences, 'Px',
abbreviates them, and in so doing assimilates them to strings of
referring terms which could be read 'the property P, x'.  On that
interpretation supposedly predicative expressions like 'is a prime
number' become referential.  It is on account of this that people
(like Russell) have seen problems about the unity of the proposition
(i.e. the generation of Bradley's regress), and it is also, I
believe, the origin of Frege's difficulty with the concept Horse.

The abbreviation conflates predicates involving finite forms of the
verb, like 'shaves', or 'is a shaver', which are descriptive, with
forms that involve gerunds/present participles, such as  'shaving',
'being a shaver', which are referential.  There is no difficulty with
the unity of 'John shaves' like there is with 'John, shaving', and
once one recognises that 'is a horse' is not referential there is
naturally no difficulty about the concept it refers to - the
associated concept is referred to by a different expression, 'being a
horse'.  The grammatical category mistake materialises most commonly,
and perhaps most pointedly, when one tries to read a second-order
quantification, like '(EP)Px' as 'there is a property P which x has'
.  For to get a comprehensible reading in English one has to insert
the 'has', turning the 'P' in 'Px' from what it was in the '(EP)',
namely a referential form, into what it should be, namely a
descriptive form like 'has P'.  Another informal device sometimes
used is such readings is to say 'there is a property P such that x
Ps' - the added 's' giving something like the move to a finite verb
form.

These points are quite standard in one sense, although they may not
be too well known amongst mathematical logicians.  A predicate
nominaliser was introduced in the classic history of Logic 'The
Development of Logic' by W & M Kneale, Clarendon, Oxford, 1962,
p601f, and William Kneale later made use of the corresponding
sentence nominaliser in  'Propositions and Truth in Natural
Languages', Mind 81, 1972, pp225-43, see also Susan Haack's
'Philosophy of Logics', C.U.P. 1978, p150f.   It was essentially
Kneale's analysis of the Liar which I gave in response to Hodges (FOM
Digest Vol 4, Issue 10), although I made it more sophisticated, and I
think more accurate, by also using propositional epsilon terms.  For
other details see my 'Prior's Analytic Revised' Analysis 61.1, 2001,
pp86-90.  People who think of 'logic' as just the mathematics
surrounding the predicate calculus will maybe have difficulty
adjusting to these extensions of the object language - and also to a
notion of truth which allows that language to be semantically closed
without contradiction, unlike in Tarskian semantics, and so to be
unproblematically its own meta-language.  But 'Natural Language
rules: OK' , even if appropriate abbreviations and symbolisations
need to be constructed to reveal all the mathematcal mechanisms which
underlie our (very subtle and complicated) natural speech.
--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow