[FOM] Wittgenstein?

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 17:45:25 EDT 2003

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 11:47  PM, Harvey Friedman wrote:

> *DID LW WRITE ANYTHING THAT CAN AT LEAST BE REASONABLY INTERPRETED AS
> BEING SIGNIFICANT FOR THE FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS? IF SO, EXACTLY
> WHAT?*

Harvey, I think that the answer is `yes', although I don't think that
LW understood how his ideas applied to foundations of mathematics---his
conception of the latter was inappropriate for the time he was writing
(1930's, '40's). In the first place, his _Philosophical Investigations_
provides a (to me) convincing naturalistic conception of language and
of logical and mathematical norms. Secondly, in the context of that
conception, he argues (and again I am convinced) that questions of
existence (Do physical objects really exist? Do other people/minds
really exist? Do numbers, functions sets, etc. really exist?), when
these are understood to be questions _about_ the language (as opposed
to questions _within_ it, where they have trivial affirmative answers)
simply spin their wheels. He sums it up in Section 402:

\begin{quote} For this is what disputes between Idealists, Solipsists
and Realists  look like. The
one party attacks the normal form of expression as if they were
attacking a statement; the others
defend it, as if they were stating facts recognized by every reasonable
human being. \S 402
\end{quote}

That he excluded the mathematical Nominalist on the one side and the
mathematical Realist on the other was, as I have already stated,
because he did not really believe that discourse about sets and
functions was an established part of mathematics and thought (quite
contrary to the actual state of things by 1930) that it was just
`language in holiday'.

If he is right about the wheel-spinning,  then  questions of
`ontological commitment' in mathematics that are not based on issues
_internal_ to mathematics (e.g. consistency) are suspect.

I hesitated to send this response because it seems to me that the fom
list gets easily distracted from truly foundational questions. My
compromise with myself in sending it is that I will not respond on the
list to further questions about Wittgenstein. I just wanted to indicate
that at least I thought that, with all of his pretense and arrogance
and down-right ignorance, he in the end did have something to say of
value in foundations.

Bill Tait