[FOM] Re: FTGI1:Classical Propositional Calculus

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Tue Apr 22 16:56:45 EDT 2003

Below I review briefly the way I used to introduce the propositional
connectives and their properties in my graduate level introductory
mathematical logic course at the Courant Institute. This was a 30 hour
one-semester whirlwind exposition of Goedel's completeness & incompleteness
theorems with Hilbert's 10th problem (to make proofs of representability of
recursive relations easy) en route. I could assume that my students had
some mathematical sophistication, but zero knowledge of logic.

I wanted a development that would make the truth tables (especially for -->
) seem a natural development and not some ad hoc thing one began with. What
I came up with was not the sort of fundamental
begin-at-the-beginning  approach that I believe Harvey seeks, but I think
it does answer some of his questions.

I begin with a kind of structure I call a LOGIC of the form <E, |- > where
E is a non-empty set and |- is a relation between subsets of E (which I'll
designate with capital letters) and elements of E (which I'll designate by
lower-case letters) satisfying:

L1. {a} |- a.

L2. (Monotonicity) If A |-a and A is a subset of B then
B |- a.

L3. (Compactness)  If A |- a then there is a
finite subset B of A, such that B |- a.

L4. (Cut)  If A |- a and B u {a} |- b
then A u B |-b.

Next, a BOOLEAN LOGIC is a structure <E, |- , --> , f > where <E, |-> is a
logic, --> is a binary operation on E, and f is an element of E satisfying:

B1. A u {a} |- b if and only if A |- a --> b
B2. (a --> f) --> f |- a

I suggest that B1 encapsulates the reason that --> plays a fundamental role
in mathematics. If I remember correctly in PRINCIPLES OF MATHEMATICS,
Russell defines "pure mathematics" as dealing with propositions of the form
p --> q. A sense in which something like this is true is that there are
always axioms whose conjunction serves as the antecedent of implications.
So one is always proving such implications and B1 gives the typical method:
take the antecedent as premise and derive the consequent. B2 (double
negation) is of course much more dubious. E.g. it doesn't hold in
intuitionistic logic. But it does encapsulate proof by reductio ad absurdum.

Next: where are these structures to be found? Well there is obviously a one
element Boolean logic, but it is pathological (because |-f), or as we say,
inconsistent. What is the smallest consistent (and all the usual
definitions of consistency are equivalent) Boolean logic? It is the unique
2 element Boolean logic with E = {f, t = f -->f}, and the --> operation is
compelled to be given by the usual truth table.

Finally, for any Boolean logic, we can study homomorphisms into this
2-element logic and easily prove that if every such homomorphism that maps
all elements of A into t also maps a into t, then
A |- a. Quantificational logic, first order theories, etc. then are seen as
particular Boolean logics so that the proof methods of the classical
propositional calculus are automatically embedded in them.

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU
                          martin at eipye.com