[FOM] Reply to Franzen, Heck, Davis

Lucas Wiman lrwiman at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 21 23:05:22 EDT 2003

In the former, he writes:
 >Whereas I do not doubt the possibility that there are overlooked
 >imaginative and productive connections [between natural language
philosophy and f.o.m.], nothing in [Buckner's] postings
 >suggest any to me.

While it's not my business to defend Buckner, I do think there is
conceivably some relevance of natural language philosophy to f.o.m.
Michael Dummett's paper "The Philosophical Basis of Intuitionistic
Logic" (reprinted in Benacerraf & Putnam's excellent anthology
"Philosophy of Mathematics: Selected Readings") seems to show a strong
relationship between the two.  Dummett argues that the strongest
argument for intuitionistic logic is based upon the meaning of
mathematical statements.  In his theory of meaning,  the meaning of any
statement must be based solely upon what can be publicly manifested by
the sayer of that statement.  If this were not the case, then statements
could have radically different meanings for different people, but there
would never be any means of telling that the statements have different
meanings.  Dummett then proceeds to argue that there can be no real
meaning given to the existential claims (say that a certain number
exists) without constructing that number.  Similarly, this theory of
meaning dictates that for a statement to be true or false, we must have
a method of publicly demonstrating which, etc.  (This is a gross and
probably inaccurate charicature of Dummett's views.  I'm not defending
them, and I certainly don't agree with them.  They're here to prove a
point.)

 From these sorts of arguments, which plainly have very substantial
consequences for f.o.m., it seems clear that certainly imaginative
connections can be found.  Dummett's arguments play a mainly negative
role (classical mathematics cannot be given a coherent meaning), but
their refutation is both necessary and productive for the philosophy of
mathematics.  The extent to which the philosophy of mathematics can be
equated with Friedman's "serious f.o.m" is another issue.

In the latter posting cited above, Friedman writes:
 >Ordinary people in ordinary activity are not doing science, which
 >requires a rather extraordinary degree of concentration and attention
 >to detail. Again, any suggestion that mathematicians have no idea
 >what they are talking about is, at least on the face of it, silly.

Noam Chomsky has addressed a related issue in his book "New horizons in
the study of language and mind".  Chomsky addresses whether our
intuitive notions of language and meaning have any relevance for the
study of language.  Chomsky defends the thesis that questions about the
intuitive usage of mental or physical terms are totally irrelevant to
the study of language and mind.  The study of such terms are part of
what he calls "ethnoscience."  Chomsky writes:

"It is interesting to learn how notions of language appear in the
culture of the Navajo [...] or on the streets of New York, or even in
the more self-consciously contrived culture of academic
philosophy. [...] But such endeavors have to be taken seriously; they
are not casual pursuits, and are not to be confused with naturalistic
inquiry into the nature of what folk science addresses in its own ways,
using possibly different faculties of the mind.  Ethnoscience is a
branch of science that studies humans, seeking to understand their modes
of interpretation of the world, the diversity of these systems, and
their origins."

Similarly, one should not, as Buckner seems to do, say something along
the following lines:  "I have this notion of number, which differs from
what mathematicians tell me they study in the following ways ... since
my notion of number is fine for my purposes (counting), the
mathematicians obviously have the wrong idea of number (or set or
whatever)."  This sort of argument (which is plainly distinguished from
a Dummett-style argument, like the one I gave above) is a form of
ethnomathematics, a branch of sociology.  This has absolutely nothing to
with serious mathematics, f.o.m., or even the philosophy of language.
Whatever Buckner's intuitive notions of number are, they are totally
irrelevant to the serious scientific study of mathematics, and they tell
nothing about what mathematicians actually study.  To use an example
which Chomsky uses in several places, this tells us as much as trying to
prove that the earth cannot revolve around the sun since the sun "rises"
and "sets."  Chomsky writes "the correspondence [of scientific notions
of language] to some common-sense notion would matter no more than for
(topological) neighborhood, energy, or fish."  The same can, I think, be
said of scientific notions of mathematics.

- Lucas Wiman