[FOM] Reply to Franzen, Heck, Davis

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Sun Apr 20 18:15:55 EDT 2003

Dean Buckner says:

 >(1)  On Torkel's point that we can choose whether a variable stands in for
 >the name of a sentence, or the sentence itself, I'm a little surprised.  OK
 >then, let's choose to substitute a sentence for the first variable, and the
 >name of a sentence for the second variable in  "G iff G is true" giving:

 >    grass is green iff "grass is green" is true

 >Which makes sense, except it fails to support the redundancy story of truth
 >that I thought Torkel wanted, and which is implied by "G iff G is true".

  I know nothing about redundancy stories. My simple point was that I'm
sure readers of the exchanges in question will be able to decide for
themselves when "G" in my comments stands for a Godel sentence and
when it stands for a term designating a Godel sentence, depending
on the context. Does your "we can choose" express a contrary view?
---
Torkel Franzen