[FOM] Re: Papers of Poincare (Lucas Wiman)

Colin McLarty cxm7 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Apr 10 13:36:54 EDT 2003

Thanks to Lucas Wiman for some interesting questions here.

I think the main point to make is: Poincare never suggests any limitation
on classical mathematics. Indeed he faults logicism for offering to limit
it in some way. When Russell conjectured a few solutions to the paradoxes
of set theory, and said it would take time to see how much of mathematics
could be preserved by the best solution, Poincare noted that real math was
not at stake. Rather logicism was at stake. By real math he meant the kind
of thing he did, in his research publications, which was in no way
constructive or limited by "predicativity" (these passages are abbreviated
on p. 480 of THE FOUNDATIONS OF SCIENCE, cited with the originals in my paper).

Many logicians since have claimed he implicitly posed limitations - or that
he should have posed limitations. But the limitations are not to be found
in his math or his philosophy. He even wrote one philosophic paper, a month
before he died, saying that some mathematicians reject the well-ordering
theorem as non-constructive. But he explicitly claimed to understand the
issue better than those mathematicians do. He says the constructivists (or,
in his words, pragmatists) and the Cantorians both only understand one side
of the argument, while he understands both sides. (This is the 1912
"logique d l'infini" translated in MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE under the title
"Mathematics and logic".)

As to whether logic for Poincare was a part of mathematics

>Yes--that is precisely the point I tried to make that logic (as it is
>commonly understood *now*--in Poincare's time, the correct term seemed to
>be logistic) is a part of mathematics--not a foundation for it.
>Poincare repeatedly (and correctly) stated that any logic claiming to give
>a foundation for mathematics would have to already include fundamental
>mathematical concepts of arithmetic.

Probably we do not disagree in substance. But I would say that logic then
and now is commonly understood to be the patterns of correct actual
reasoning. Anyway that is what Poincare meant by logic. It is not the study
of formal deductive systems. Formal deduction systems take their value from
their depiction of the correct informal patterns.

> >Poincare consistently distinguished Cantor's set theory from "Cantorism".
> >The theory was useful and Poincare was among the first to use it. The
> >"ism", which he associated with logicists, was to him an odd confusion.
>
>This is not the case.  Perhaps he did distinguish between them, but if so,
>he did not distinguish consistently.

I did overstate the consistency. Poincare's terminology changes. But he
consistently supported informal set theory and derided logicist efforts to
formalize it. Of course Russell also rejected every formalization that
Poincare lived to see and Poincare most often based his criticisms on
Russell's.  As I say in my paper, Poincare's objections are also close to
what Godel would say much later about PRINCIPIA MATHEMATICA.

>Even after reading your paper, it is difficult for me to see exactly how
>it is that philosophers have misinterpreted him.  There are real numbers
>(in the arithmetic account of the continuum of which Poincare seemed fond)
>that cannot be described in a finite number of words--these numbers, it
>seems to me, would have bothered Poincare (and very well might have).

Your statement on describable reals is too hasty, and Poincare knew it.
Asking whether a real number is "described in a finite number of words"
only makes sense relative to fixed means of definition. By diagonalizing on
those means, we get new explicit means of definition that let us define new
reals in finitely many words. Poincare liked this familiar paradox a great
deal and made it an argument against taking any formalization as
foundation, in his 1909 "logique de l' infini" (translated in MATHEMATICS
AND SCIENCE under the title "logic of infinity"), and elsewhere.

Russell had thought such things bothered Poincare. Specifically he tried to
confound Poincare by the paradox of "the smallest integer which cannot be
defined by fewer than one hundred English words". Poincare happily said,
look, this only shows that the word "defined" is ambiguous. You have to say
"defined by such-and-so means". And the paradox itself shows that no such
means are complete. So there is no hope of formalizing all mathematics.

>Given a sequence of real numbers (which, as I understand Poincare, would
>be a rule-based sequence), it is possible to construct a real number to
>which it converges, so he certainly wouldn't have had a problem with
>that.  However, he probably would have disliked the general least upper
>bound principle.

Poincare considered the least upper bound principle the key intuition of
continuity and he accepted it in full generality. That is why no one can
quote him offering any restrictions. For him every bounded sequence of
reals has an l.u.b. and not only the sequences defined in some
formalization or given by some rule. Of course everyone agrees that to
actually "give" a sequence you have to give some rule for it. Intuition,
for Poincare, always goes beyond any formalization and this is his basic
argument against logicism.

Poincare certainly says

>"Knowledge of the genus does not result in your knowing all its members;
>it merely provides you with the possibility of constructing them all, or
>rather constructing as many of them as you may wish.  They will exist only
>after they have been constructed; that is, after they have been defined; X
>exists only by virtue of its definition." (From Mathematics and Science:
>Last Essays; quoted in Chihara: Ontology and the vicious-circle principle).

This is explicit: you can know a genus without knowing all its members. We
can even speak about those of its members that do not "exist" yet because
we have not defined them individually. As a specific example, Poincare uses
the full power set of the reals, in practice and in his philosophy, while
not all of its members are "given" at any one time. In terms of the quote
above: For Poincare, the whole genus of bounded sequences of reals has
least upper bounds, not only the the ones we have "given" so far.

>It's not entirely clear to me how Poincare would have responded to the
>idea that the reals are defined impredicatively in the arithmetic
>formulation that he so loved.  Perhaps he would have rejected the
>arithmetic formulation of the continuum, or perhaps his injunction against
>impredicative arguments (however one interprets that).  Do you know of
>anywhere where Poincare directly dealt with this?

He talks specifically about people who object to the standard arithmetic
continuum as non-constructive. He says these people "forget that possible,
in the language of geometers, simply means free from contradiction". (p.44
of his book FOUNDATIONS OF SCIENCE. Fuller citation is in my paper.) He
defends the geometers on this and insists they have the true definition of
the continuum.

And that is what he says more abstractly in the passage you quote from
Chihara's book. We know the arithmetic continuum even though not all its
members are given at any one time. Each impredicatively defined real "will
exist after it has been constructed" and we can "construct as many of them
as we wish".

Poincare took that to mean, precisely, that we can freely do analysis by
all classical means, since the reals we need will exist as soon as we need
them. They "exist by virtue of their definitions". Throughout his career
Poincare insisted "What does the word exist mean in mathematics? It means,
I say, to be free from contradiction."

This principle was central to his work in non-Euclidean geometry, and
especially to his philosophy of geometry. In fact, the first clue that
logicians have misinterpreted Poincare is that they so rarely mention his
views on geometry, while nearly all his mathematics and far the greatest
part of his philosophy is on geometry. The arithmetic views they attribute
to him, are nowhere in his writings.

Brouwer himself knew that Poincare was no kind of constructivist, and
complained about it. He thought, based on his reading of Poincare on
intuition, that Poincare *should* be a constructivist. Chihara agrees with
this, as do many logicians today. But Brouwer also sharply faulted Poincare
for sounding just like Russell on the question of mathematical existence
(as quoted in my paper) while logicians today generally do not know what
Poincare actually said. They show that he should be a constructivist by
their standards, and conclude that he was. Goldfarb's paper refers
extensively to Poincare's works. But unfortunately he gives few page
citations or direct quotes.