[FOM] Re: Papers of Poincare (Lucas Wiman)

Lucas Wiman lrwiman at ilstu.edu
Wed Apr 9 22:32:56 EDT 2003

Colin,

 >Yet Poincare also says this mechanical "logic" captures only a part of
 >actual logic.

Yes--that is precisely the point I tried to make that logic (as it is
commonly understood *now*--in Poincare's time, the correct term seemed
to be logistic) is a part of mathematics--not a foundation for it.
Poincare repeatedly (and correctly) stated that any logic claiming to
give a foundation for mathematics would have to already include
fundamental mathematical concepts of arithmetic.

 >Poincare consistently distinguished Cantor's set theory from
"Cantorism".
 >The theory was useful and Poincare was among the first to use it. The
 >"ism", which he associated with logicists, was to him an odd confusion.

This is not the case.  Perhaps he did distinguish between them, but if
so, he did not distinguish consistently.  In his essay "The Future of
Mathematics" in Science and Method, Poincare has a section on
"Cantorism."  He states that its services to mathematics are well
known.  Not Cantor's work, but Cantorism itself.  (This may be an
artifact of bad translation; I don't have access to the original).  If
what you are saying is true, then it seems to me that this makes no
sense.  Cantorism, according to your definition, had not served
science--it was a perversion of something which had.  Poincare seemed to
feel that Cantor's set theory was only meaningful when applied to
clearly defined circumstances.  The examples you cite in your paper are
sets of points and curves, which seem to accord to this thesis.  Cantor
had a much more general notion of set in mind.  (Also, why name an "ism"
after someone whose ideas were perverted into the ism.  That seems to
make no sense.)

 >It is important to remember that each of the phrases "actual infinity",
 >"completed infinity", and "impredicative definition" has meant very
 >different things to different people at different times.

Even after reading your paper, it is difficult for me to see exactly how
it is that philosophers have misinterpreted him.  There are real numbers
(in the arithmetic account of the continuum of which Poincare seemed
fond) that cannot be described in a finite number of words--these
numbers, it seems to me, would have bothered Poincare (and very well
might have).  Given a sequence of real numbers (which, as I understand
Poincare, would be a rule-based sequence), it is possible to construct a
real number to which it converges, so he certainly wouldn't have had a
problem with that.  However, he probably would have disliked the general
least upper bound principle.  The quote you give in your paper on pp.
106 seems to quite clearly show this:

"The word all has a clear meaning when applied to a finite number of
objects; for it still to have one when the objects are infinite in
number would require that there be an actual infinity.  Otherwise all
the objects cannot be conceived as given prior to their definition and
if the definition of a notion N depends on all the objects A, it might
be spoiled by a vicious circle, if some of the objects A cannot be
defined without using the notion N itself."

And also:

"Knowledge of the genus does not result in your knowing all its members;
it merely provides you with the possibility of constructing them all, or
rather constructing as many of them as you may wish.  They will exist
only after they have been constructed; that is, after they have been
defined; X exists only by virtue of its definition." (From Mathematics
and Science: Last Essays; quoted in Chihara: Ontology and the
vicious-circle priniple).

If we try to quantify over all sets of reals, certainly some of them
will not even be definable without reference to the power set of the
reals itself.  Thus we would be stuck in a circle (though I wouldn't
consider it vicious).  Thus the least upper bound principle would only
make sense to Poincare if it were restated in terms of definable sets of
reals.

It's not entirely clear to me how Poincare would have responded to the
idea that the reals are defined impredicatively in the arithmetic
formulation that he so loved.  Perhaps he would have rejected the
arithmetic formulation of the continuum, or perhaps his injunction
against impredicative arguments (however one interprets that).  Do you
know of anywhere where Poincare directly dealt with this?

 >Poincare's rejection of the "actual infinite" did not prevent him from
using Cantor's
 >diagonal argument as a philosophic example of the right way to handle
 >infinite sets.

Cantor's diagonal argument is a perfectly constructive result; I don't
see why its acceptance has anything to do with the admission of an
actual infinite into mathematics.

 >For Poincare logic was emphatically not a part of mathematics. It was
the
 >laws of thought and was presupposed by mathematics the same as by any
 >thought. The first page of "The logic of infinity" insists that the
 >ordinary rules of logic not only can be applied to infinite sets, but
must.
 >Logicists go wrong, he says, when they try to replace this ordinary
logic
 >with formal systems.

Yes, this much is clear.  When I mentioned logic before, I was referring
to its modern usage, which Poincare would almost certainly consider a
part of mathematics.  He made it quite clear that in order to study
these formal systems, one needs to assume a background mathematical
reasoning ability (what you call "informal metatheory"), and that any
attempts to justify mathematics based upon formal systems would fail.

- Lucas Wiman