[FOM] consistency and completeness in natural language

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 5 18:53:17 EST 2003

Directly to me he has said:

>truth in logic is predicated of sentences as
>a matter of definition. I don't agree that there is any use-mention
>confusion involved in "T proves that...",

Clearly Prior was not a logician, by these standards (see chapter 7
of 'Objects of Thought' again).  But how does Franzen read the null
or identity modality in system T, for instance?  That is such that |-
Lp <-> p, so Tarski's theorem does not hold.  It's reading is, of
course 'It is true that', showing that 'it is true that p' is
provably different from ''p' is true'.

--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow