[FOM] consistency and completeness in natural language

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 5 00:07:02 EST 2003

A further thought occurs to me regarding Hodges' question about
sentences being true, in FOM Digest Vol 4 Issue 4.  If he has been
unable to look at Ch7 of Prior's 'Objects of Thought', he may not be
alert to the possibility and relevance of ambiguity with sentences.
Certainly we can say, for instance, that a sentence s *states the
facts* (Ss), and Prior (as I have amended him) would then say Ss iff
(r)(Msr -> Tr), where 'Msr' says 's means r', 'Tr' says 'r is true',
and the variable 'r' ranges over referring phrases to
propositions/statements.  Given (E!r)Msr one can then obtain, by
straightforward logic, the sentential T-scheme, Ss iff TerMsr (where
'e' is epsilon, and 'erMsr' is 'that statement s makes').  Charles
Sayward, in 'Prior's Theory of Truth', Analysis 1987, uses the
contingency of this sentential T-scheme to prove, indirectly, that in
the case of the Epimenides Paradox the self-referential sentence must
be non-univocal (i.e. ~(E!r)Msr).  The distinction of my new paper
'Choice and Logic' is that it does not argue indirectly, but locates
directly the ambiguity in this and similar cases, and finds
comparable explicit ambiguties in the Paradox of Predication,
Russell's Paradox, and Grelling's Paradox (Heterologicality), also
Berry's Paradox, and Simmons' Denotation Paradox.
--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow