[FOM] consistency and completeness in natural language

Sandy Hodges SandyHodges at attbi.com
Thu Apr 3 12:26:06 EST 2003

Hartley Slater:
what is true is that 1+1=2, not '1+1=2', and 'that 1+1=2' is not a
sentence, it is a noun phrase.
----
sh.   I am unclear what is happening, according to this account, when a
mentioned sentence is called true or false.   This is surely a common
occurrence of everyday life.   In the example given by Saul Kripke in
1975, a certain Jones says:

Most (that is, more than half) of Nixon's statements about Watergate are
false.

is Jones (who we assume does not know what Nixon said) being incoherent?

Sandy Hodges / Alameda,  California,   USA
mail to SandyHodges at attbi.com will reach me.