[FOM] consistency and completeness in natural language

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Apr 2 18:23:50 EST 2003

Torkel Franzen writes (FOM Digest Vol 4, Issue 2):
>What, specifically, in Tennant's paper do you find clarifying as regards
>such a possible need for a truth predicate [to establish reflection
>principles]? You have in mind, perhaps, his discussion of "showing"
>vs "saying", and of prosentential
>interpretations, on p 574f?

It would be better, I think, if Franzen's suggestion about the
possible need for a truth predicate to establish reflection
principles was made more concrete; and maybe even addressed directly
to Tennant himself.  Certainly it is not what I am mainly concerned
with; as I said 'my interest starts from the recognition that the
reflection principles Tennant is concerned with have
abandoned entirely any truth-predicate. '.  I do have in mind,
though, the kind of thing that Franzen goes on to mention:

Clearly there is a connection between the use of reflection
principles and the Tractarian doctrine about the ineffability of
semantics, but Tennant's brief discussion is not the whole story, and
I am not myself persuaded of the prosentential theory of Truth, even
though I still count myself a kind of Priorian.  What Prior's
propositional quantification missed (see my 'Priori's Analytic
Revised' Analysis 61.1 Jan 2001, 86-90) was the nominaliser 'that'
which Buckner mentions.  An appropriate symbol for this Kneale and
Kneale introduced in 'The Development of Logic' (Clarendon 1962)
p585f, and William Kneale later dwelt on its significance at greater
length in 'Propositions and Truth in Natural Languages', Mind 1972.

Twentieth century history in this area went through three broad
phases, on my understanding of the matter. First there was the
Tractarian idea that tautologousness could only be shown, then came
the representation of modal status by means of meta-linguistic
predicates, as in Quine, but then thirdly (and rightly) the
representation using modal operators.  In the latter two phases the
ineffability of semantics was given up, with explicit judgements
becoming possible concerning such notions as necessity and truth; but
the linguistic subject of judgements of truth and necessity changed
between the second and third phases, from mentioned sentences to
that-clauses.  Thus most of the intention behind the mid-century
interest in '"P v ~P' is necessary'", and the like, turns out to be
better expressed in forms such as 'It is necessary that P v ~P'.  In
addition, with the latter mode of speech more fully understood, it is
readily seen that the former mode of speech can only be the
(meta-)statement of a (contingent) linguistic convention, leaving the
latter alone to register a proposition-form as non-contingent.  Of
course it does so, also, while remaining in, and not speaking about,
the object language.

Goedel's results come out of the second of these phases, and the many
discussions of our differences from Turing Machines in this area, as,
for instance, in Penrose's 'The Emperor's New Mind' (Oxford 1989), I
take to be part of the struggle some people are still having moving
into the third phase.  Tennant's use of reflection principles, which,
as I said before, reduce the machine-human question essentially to
the difference between mention and use, will maybe help people who
are still attached to Tarskian semantics to take this step.  See
Chapter 7, 'Tarskian and Non-Tarskian Semantics' of Prior's 'Objects
of Thought' (Oxford 1971) for earlier moves in this area.

--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow