[FOM] A question about dialetheism and sorites

Chris Menzel cmenzel at tamu.edu
Sat Nov 16 15:44:45 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:54:49AM -0500, Axiomize at AOL.COM wrote:
> Any system that concludes that a particular sentence is both true and
> false is inconsistent, so that everything is provable ...

That is exactly what does not follow in paraconsistent logics.

> The Liar paradox is simply the semantics of a program that gets into
> an infinite loop, expressed in English.

I guess that depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is, but in my
mouth, the paradox surely is not the semantics of a program.  It is an
argument from plausible premises to an inconsistent conclusion.  Though
I guess what you say might be true if "is" means something like
"bears certain structural similarities to".

Chris Menzel