FOM: Growth conditions

Harvey Friedman friedman at math.ohio-state.edu
Mon Mar 11 10:00:04 EST 2002

In this list in posting #127

1. f,g are of expansive linear growth.

2. f,g are expansively power like.

3. f,g are compound exponential like.

4. f,g have expansive power growth.

Item 4 needs to be changed.

Every growth condition (of the sort being considered) has a piecewise
formulation, where one asserts that there is a partition E1,...,Ek of the
domain such that the growth condition holds on each piece separately.

Replace the list from #127 by

1. f,g are of expansive linear growth.

2. f,g are expansively power like.

3. f,g are compound exponential like.

4. f,g have piecewise expansive power growth.

5. f,g have piecewise compound exponential power growth.

6. f,g have piecewise nonlinear polynomial growth.

There are some additional classes that we can handle - i.e., we know they
are provably equivalent to the 1-consistency of MAH - but we have not
presented the relevant abstract theory along the lines of #127.