FOM: Recursion theory question

Schaefer, Marcus MSchaefer at cti.depaul.edu
Wed Feb 20 16:59:17 EST 2002

Unfortunately I made a mistake, the set
A = {n: max(W_e) = n for some e<n} is not d.c.e,
but it is 3-REA, so the result still follows.

The generalized Arslanov completeness criterion
for n-REA operators is from

Jockusch, Lerman, Soare, Solovay
Recursively enumerable sets modulo iterated jumps
and extensions of Arslanov's completeness criterion.
J. Symbolic Logic 54 (1989), no. 4, 1288--1323.

The solution is unsatisfactory in the sense that the
generalized Arslanov criterion is (provably) nonuniform,
so we still lack a natural completeness reduction for
the set A.

There are many open problems similar to the one discussed
here (minimal indices, shortest descriptions), some of
them are listed in

Schaefer, Marcus
A guided tour of minimal indices and shortest descriptions.
Arch. Math. Logic 37 (1998), no. 8, 521--548.

I'd be glad to hear about progress on any of them.

Marcus