FOM: Recursion theory question

Robert M. Solovay solovay at math.berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 19 22:07:15 EST 2002

Here is a remark and question concerning Friedman's posting:

Question: What does "DNR" mean [and what do the letters stand for]?

Remark: Call the set in the conjecture F. It obviously depends on the
Godel numbering of the partial recursive functions. [I presume that W_e is
the domain of phi_e]. As usual we call such an enumeration acceptable if
it satisfies the enumeration and S_m_n theorems.

Assertion: there is an acceptable enumeration such that the corresponding
F has degree 0'.

It would be amusing to construct a different acceptable enumeration such
that F has degree less than 0'; this seems much more difficult, but
perhaps is possible.

The enumeration of the assertion is rather pathological. [Roughly, most of
the phi_e's are under my personal control.] It would be easy to give an
example of a standard enumeration [coming from a reasonable encoding of
the one-tape Turing machines, say]. For such a standard enumeration, I
have nothing, as yet, to say.

	--Bob Solovay