FOM: A professional development opportunity through an EAF grant

Matt Insall montez at rollanet.org
Fri Feb 8 16:09:06 EST 2002

Dear FOMers,
      Some of you may be aware of R.L. Moore and the teaching method he
espoused.  It is referred to as the ``Socratic Method'', the Discovery
Method'', the ``Moore Method'', the ``Texas Method'', and perhaps by
several other names of which I am unaware.  Here at the University of
Missouri - Rolla, professor W.T. Ingram teaches an undergraduate course
called ``Foundations of Mathematics'' using this method, and he also
teaches a Senior/Graduate class in topology by the Moore Method.  His
efforts have lead to a grant from the Educational Advancement Foundation
(see the following url:  http://www.discovery.utexas.edu/)  to provide
funds for visitors to Rolla to learn about this method of teaching.  In
case some of you are interested in this style of teaching, more information
is available through the ``Professional Development Opportunities'' link on
our department web page at

http://www.umr.edu/~mathstat/

If you come, then I would enjoy having some time to visit with you in
person as well.

Matt Insall