FOM: Truth for Sentence Tokens

Till Mossakowski till at
Sat Aug 17 03:45:56 EDT 2002

Sandy Hodges wrote:

> I believe the idea that it is individual utterances (sentence tokens)
> which get truth values, rather than propositions or formulas, deserves
> more attention.    One treatment that allows sentence tokens to have
> different truth values is the Austinian proposal in Barwise and
> Etchemendy 1987, but that proposal contains many things besides merely
> allowing tokens to have different values.

You might want to have a look at the PhD thesis by Andreas Beck introducing
a two-valued solution of the Liar paradox that takes the referential
structure into account (here also different utterances of the
same sentence can get different truth values):

Till Mossakowski

Till Mossakowski                Phone +49-421-218-4683
Dept. of Computer Science       Fax +49-421-218-3054
University of Bremen            till at
P.O.Box 330440, D-28334 Bremen