FOM: 1-1 correspondence

Ayan Mahalanobis amah8857 at brain.math.fau.edu
Fri Aug 16 15:43:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Dean Buckner wrote:

> I have a bucket which I fill with pebbles.  I construct a function as
> follows
>
>     f(p1) = {p1}
>     f(p2) = {p1,p2}
>     f(p2) = {p1,p2,p3}
>     and so on

I might be wrong but isn't it true that you are assuming that the set is
ordered and the way you put it has a one-one correspondence to the
naturals/subset of naturals. So the question is the same as weather the
set is in corrospondence with any initial segment? If yes then it
is finite if not then it is infinite.

I guess, (I might be wrong here!!) knowing the mapping is not enough to
know if the set ends.

--Ayan